05JUL07
We learned the results of the PET scan today. The last scan was just over a month ago. The scans when compared revealed increases in all the known cancer from the last scan (both breasts and lymph nodes under both arms) and additional cancer now in the liver and multiple widespread spots of cancer in the bone. This explains the swelling Karen is experiencing in her abdomen. Due to the strain on her body from the cancer she is beginning to pick up water weight. She has gained five pounds since last week despite be severely nauseated. The tumor marker supports the scan results increasing from over 100 points from 254 to 362.
Treatment today consisted of infusions of Gemzar (chemotherapy), Herceptin (restarted) and fluids to help avoid dehydration. The plan is for the new chemo to knock off the cancer cells just like the first chemo did before it stopped working. If that doesn’t work and Karen’s health (mental and physical) can handle it they will try other drugs until they find one that is successful.
Thank you for checking in on Karen and most of all for your prayers. Please continue to pray for complete healing of the cancer from Karen’s body, for relief from the nausea and pain, and for rest and peace that passes understanding as we continue this journey.
Before I wrap up this update, I feel led to share with you Karen’s number request since diagnosis has been that God would use her illness to point others to ponder what if, “What if I were diagnosed with terminal cancer, involved in a fatal accident or had another life threatening event occur in my life today?” Friends, our hearts are aching for Karen to be healed right here and now, but if she isn’t she will be completely healed in heaven. Do you have that same assurance? Our deepest hopes are that you do and if not you will find out how you can, right now. John 3:16, For God so loved the world that He gave is only Son that whosoever will believe in Him (His acceptance of our sins and payment for them through His death, burial and resurrection) will not perish but have everlasting life.
None of us know for sure what tomorrow holds, but we can all be sure of Who holds tomorrow.
Until next time…
Friday, July 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Karen and Darren,
You don't know me but I am part of the Delta family that knows of your situation and prays for you daily. Cancer has touched many in my family in many ways so I have been following your story from the beginning. You are such an inspiration with your courage in dealing with this adversity and your unwavering faith is truly amazing.
I pray this new chemo will attack your cancer with vigor and that you will find releif from pain and nausea.
God's peace to all of you.
A DL friend in prayer.
My thoughts are the same as your DL family person. I pray for you all, and keep Karen in my daily prayers for healing and for relief from the horrible side effects and pain. Thank you for the verse and the testimony of faith, what an inspiration you are to many. May God heal you and hold you in the palm of His hand.
An extended DL family member!
Karen and Darren,
Wanted you to know I am checking in and we are all praying. We know Our Heavenly Father has numbered each hair and holds every day in His capable hands. Thank you for your willingness to be used by Him during this adversity. Cindy
karen may God bles you
Don and Vonda Gospodinsky
Karen and Darren,
I am redoubling my prayers for your whole family. I don't know what God has in store, but I do know how much he loves all of you. I love you all, too.
Martha
Praying for you and your family all the way from Kansas City. I pray that you will find comfort and peace and be free from the pain and nausea you have been having. Special prayers also for your adorable children. God is working through you and your family to show others what "faith" is all about.
Take care and God be with all of you.
Diana
You are in the thoughts and prayers of your friends at First Christian Church, Newnan.
Post a Comment