The 4th of July stirs many emotions and thoughts for me. Profound appreciation for the sacrifices made by many so that we, by the mercy and grace of God, can live in a country where we are free is one I'm sure I share with many of you. This day also should have been the day that Karen and I went out for the first time with mutual friends. Karen did not feel well and convinced her mother to drive (before cell phones) out to the place where our church was celebrating the holiday to tell me she really was sick and not just standing me up. That was 17 years ago today. Karen has said several times since she has been diagnosed with cancer that her being sick for our first date should have been a sign I was getting a lame horse. You thought I was the one with the warped since of humor.In healthier years, every forth of July we would go over to Peachtree City to watch the fireworks and have a picnic dinner that always included Partner's pizza. This year I was scheduled to work and due to needing time off elsewhere to take Karen back and forth for doctor appointments, etc... I didn't try to get the day off. My Delta family didn't allow me to work today and insisted I take the day off to be with Karen in light of her recent health setbacks and knowing how special this day is to us. Karen was in no shape to go see the fireworks or have a picnic but we spent the entire day together thanks to the wonderful people of Delta. To all those who worked a little harder today and insisted I be home with Karen, thank you it meant so much to us.
Karen is scheduled to see the doctor tomorrow, 5July and start the new chemotherapy. I plan to post an update shortly with how the visit went.
Until next time ...

1 comment:
You work with some GREAT folks there at Delta, Darren!
Please be sure to tell them how much I appreciate all they've done, and continue to do, for you, Karen and your family!
I'll talk to you all soon!
♥ Leslie...and crew! :)
Post a Comment