Karen Leigh Shira Isherwood, age 36, passed from this life on October 28, 2007, in Newnan, GA. She was born on March 14, 1971, to loving parents William Lyle and Barbara Michael Shira at South Fulton Hospital in Atlanta, GA. Her father, Lyle, preceded her in death, as did her maternal grandfather, James D. Hallisey, and her paternal grandparents, William and Edith Shira. She wisely married her first suitor, James Darren Isherwood, and began a family that grew to include five children whom she loved deeply. She greatly enjoyed sewing, baking and time spent with family and friends.
Diagnosed with Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer in May 2005 at the young age of 34, and given a grim outlook for life, she never let it slow her down for long. Despite being very sick at times while undergoing cancer treatments, she continued to care for her family with every ounce of energy she could manage. She never wasted time complaining about cancer and always believed it was in her life for a purpose. Her approach was an encouragement to many and reflected a deeply held belief that, though God allowed the cancer, He would heal her in His time. We rejoice for her and grieve for ourselves that healing came in the form of her being called home.
In addition to her husband, Karen is survived by her children, James Darren Isherwood Jr., Hannah Elizabeth Isherwood, Matthew Lyle Isherwood, Rachel Anne Isherwood and Zachary Thomas Isherwood; her mother, Barbara Michael Shira Greene, and her husband, Pastor Carl Greene; and her maternal grandmother, Mrs. James D. Hallisey. Her sisters and brothers-in-law include Keith and Leslie Echols and Brant and Krista Frost. Her extended family includes Carl's children, Rebekah Greene Miller, Kristen Greene Walker, Sarah Greene Gibson and Adam Greene; nieces and nephews.
A Celebration of Life worship service will be held at Royal Baptist Church at 70 Royal Industrial Blvd. in Newnan on Sunday, November 4 at 2 p.m.
As an option to flowers, a fund has been established to benefit her children. Donations can be made to the Isherwood Children's Fund either in person at any Delta Community Credit Union or by mail at P.O. Box 20541, Atlanta, GA 30320. The family was also blessed by The Sue Vernon Jones Foundation, which seeks to assist local families with the challenges faced from cancer. Donations can be made to SVJ Foundation, 701 West Highway 16, Newnan, Georgia 30263.
You can read a journal kept by the family, beginning with initial diagnosis through complete healing, by visiting http://www.kisherwood.blogspot.com/.
Online condolences may also be expressed at http://www.mckoon.com/.
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
well said.
I have just seen Karen's obituary in the paper. Karen and I were childhood friends and I am so sad to hear about her illness. Just three weeks ago today I walked in the Susan G. Komen 3-day 60 mile walk in Atlanta. This was my second year walking. Hearing Karen's story reminds me of why I worked so hard to raise the money and why, despite the blisters on my feet, I walked every step of that 60 miles. We raised $6.6 million dollars on the Atlanta walk. Please know that your family is my prayers. Next year when I walk again - I will not only be walking so that my three girls will never worry about breast cancer and for my friends that have lost the battle to this horrible disease - but I will also walk in Karen's memory and for her girls!
Jennifer "Abelt" Kupfer
Post a Comment