Today (08Nov07) Karen and I were supposed to be at the doctors’ office with her most likely receiving the first dose of Taxol to help destroy the cancer. I know this because she had it programmed into the calendar on her cell phone. Karen and I tried to make each doctor’s visit a day we spent together as if we were courting (dating) again treating the doctor’s visit as an interruption to our time together instead of the reason we were going. I’d give anything to have another date with her.
I’ve not posted since the Celebration of Life service, nor answered or responded to many phone calls, messages or letters though if you left a message (and my voicemail worked properly) I did get it and very much appreciate it. Emotions come like waves in from the ocean onto the beach. I’ll be alright one moment and flooded with emotions the next. I find it difficult to talk right now and wouldn’t want to be bringing you down with me.
How am I doing is the most asked question. Indescribable pain and utter loneliness is the best answer I can give to how I’m feeling at this point. The children and their needs keep me on track and in touch with reality otherwise I would probably be a complete mess.
Speaking of the children, I know many are concerned about the children and I will quote my oldest that best summed up the situation Tuesday night (6 NOV) when he said, “Dad, I think you may have prepared us better for the possibility of mom’s death than you did yourself”. He may well be right. More probably the reason is they have the child like faith we all need to have and though we’ve all had our sad times, at this point for them, their mother is in heaven and is happy, healthy and they will see her again when their time here on earth is finished.
To the questions about whether or not I continue to update this blog, the answer is yes but only for a short while. I don’t know how long that time will be but I will not continue this blog indefinitely. As I posted in an update more than two years ago on Monday, August 29, 2005,
“…. instead I'll make a commitment, barring unforeseen circumstances, to send an update for posting every Thursday until Karen is pronounced NED (no evidence of disease). We know God is going to heal her and trust Him with details of how and when. I'm choosing Thursday because Karen's doctor appointments normally fall on that day.”
We now know how and when God healed Karen. That said I am praying as to what if anything I should do with respect to further public communication of our lives going forward.
For now, I will continue to post on this blog and plan to share some of the moments last shared with my dearest friend and wife. I close this update with the video created for and played at the Celebration of Life service. Special thanks to Skip Erdman for all the time, energy and love spent in making this available. It’s a bit grainy, but shares a quick story in picture and song of a woman who made the most impact in my life of any person God ever put in my path.
Click here for the Celebreation of life video. ***Caution this will connect you to You Tube which is open to the public for posting. Click twice but ONLY the play button showing over the picture of Karen. I urge great caution in clicking on other available links on this site.
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
What a wonderful legacy your wife has left for you and your children. What a blessing to read through this entire journey, you have always given God the glory. It will be worth it all, when we see Jesus, lifes trials will seem so small, when we see Christ. May God continue to carry you through this time.
Thank you for sharing your sweet video.
My heart is breaking for your family though I know your peace comes from God's promise that you will see your precious wife again. Your children are wise and Karen will help you watch over them
I have been reading your/Karen's blog for a while (came via Misty's blog once and felt touched and added it to my often read blogs).
Thank you for sharing Karen's journey over the last 2 years.
She certainly seemed to be a wonderful Christian lady and her faith certainly shone through.
Yours, Wilma
Darren...Thank you for sharing a liitle of what you are feeling. You are correct in the things we who love Karen, you and your children wanted to hear. Just that you are still there. Though struggeling as you are will continue for a while, it is part of the healing process. I ache for you. We are here and will continue to be when you are able to cope with the world outside again. There are many many prayers still going up daily. I love you....hang in there. Martha
I'm with Martha about the prayers still going up on your behalf. I'd grown so accustomed to praying for Karen, I can't quite seem to "turn it off" now, so I'm just redirecting the prayers to you and the rest of the family. You all continue to be a blessing!
Hello... I knew Karen when we were children in grade school and some of our early teenage years. I came to see this blog from her obituary in the Newnan Times Herald. My mother read it first, and called me. I would first like to say I am so sorry for your loss - though I can not claim to have known her very well, even when we were kids, I remember her as very kind and shy, but very friendly too. I watched her memorial video and the school picture of her in braids is the way I picture her most, as well as with the baton as I also took classes. I am so glad to know she has had a beautiful life filled with love and children... and that she knew our Lord and is now in heaven with him. We have you and your family in our prayers... God bless you... Angela Banks Tinsley
Praying for you all today... I hope you know how often the Lord brings your family to mind. I know He is near to you as His Word promises "The Lord is near the broken-hearted; He is the Saviour of those whose spirits are crushed down." Cindy
Zephaniah 3:17 is our prayer for you, Darren. We just read an update today, November 15th, and sat in shock over not knowing Karen was now in Heaven. We are grieved that we were not able to be at the Celebration of Life Service to support you and the family. The video was so sweet. We all cried as we watched it together. Karen was always an inspiration and joy to talk to when we were at Grace Community. She is a picture of a virtuous woman - a Godly lady who loved her Saviour, her husband and her precious children. I miss her greatly already and bear your burden of sadness and loneliness. I know the Lord will be your Rock and Strong Tower through it all. Know you are loved by so many who are praying for you and the children right now. May the Lord send His angels to minister to you, and may you feel His arms of love around you during this difficult time. We stand amazed at the strength the Lord has given you through it all. You are an awesome husband/father, and I know the Lord has great plans for you in the future. You have such a rich heritage - a rare one indeed -who have impacted our lives tremendously with their love, dedication and testimony. We sorrow with you, yet we know the Lord doeth all things well. We love you, Darren, and pray God's richest blessings on you and the children. Blessings from all 9 of us.
Heartbroken over your loss, but rejoicing in Heaven's gain,
The Doug Stroup Family
I Samuel 12:24
Post a Comment