I had been working on a post for Thursday, but came across notes Karen wrote on May 8, 2007 in preparation for speaking at the Mother’s Day Brunch held at our church.
I’m overwhelmed, lonely and homesick (heaven). Anything I had prepared to share today would pale in comparison to Karen’s thoughts, directly from her. Our hope was and is always in God, but after reading this I think it will be clearer to you how strong a woman of faith Karen was and how our family is richer in faith by her example.
Written by Karen Isherwood, May 8th 2007
(173 days before God called her home)
When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer I had to make a decision then and there not to look back. One of the first things I told Darren was that we can not change the past. I had to acknowledge that I was right where God wanted me to be. In Psalms 139 13-16 we read,
“For You have formed my inward parts; You have covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in your book they were all written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.”
I had to ask myself, did I truly believe that God numbered my days? My answer was and still is, “Yes.” I can not add to or take away from God’s plans. My choices might affect the quality of my life but not how long I will be here.
One of the hardest things Darren and I had to face was telling the children that I had breast cancer. They were very aware of what cancer was and what it could do. We had talked about Miss Nelda and her battle with breast cancer. They had also had visited Miss Elvie when she was sick and attended her funeral with us. So cancer was not a new word to them. J.D. took it especially hard. One of the first things he said was that he wanted Zachary to get the chance to know his mother. So how do you help a child face the fear of losing a parent? I tried to do this by teaching them that I was not afraid of death because Christ had paid the debt for my sin. I knew exactly where I would spend eternity. God used my sickness to show the children that we have no guarantee of tomorrow. And it made them think about where they would spend eternity. J.D., Hannah and Matthew all made a profession of faith in Christ and in obedience to scripture were baptized. If my sickness was what truly showed them their need for salvation, it was worth it all.
I had to learn to give thanks for all things. As Ephesians 5:20 says, “Giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” This was a huge step. One evening as our family prayed together, I thanked God for cancer. Matthew with tears streaming down his face asked me how I could thank God for cancer. Did I want to have cancer? I told him, “No, of course not. But God’s word says to give thanks in all things. Not just the good things. All things.” And I explained that my deepest prayer was that Christ be glorified through my sickness. When I was able to thank God for my cancer, peace filled me.
As a young girl I had plans and dreams of what I wanted out of life. Nothing big like being a doctor or lawyer, I wanted to be a wife and mother. A Proverbs 31 woman. Mom made it look like the best job in the world. And it is. It can be very demanding and tiring but it is definitely worth it all. On September 11, 1993, I became Mrs. James Darren Isherwood and began living my dream. Then on July 23, 1995, I became a mother for the first time and another piece of my dream fell into place. By August 12, 2003, God had blessed me with five beautiful children. Life was good so it was easy to say “God is good.” But when the hard times came, did I truly believe what Romans 8:28 says? “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Yes! His goodness did not change because I am sick. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.
God’s plans for me were a bit different than my plans. Jeremiah 29:11 tells, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” I truly believe that I’m alive today because God is not finished with me yet. And my sickness has given me the opportunity to share with others that I do not put my hope in man or medicine but in the Creator.
God has humbled me in my sickness. I have always enjoyed helping others, but I had a hard time accepting help. I had to learn to be a gracious receiver. When I was to sick too cook, you all stepped in to help. When I could not be there to take care of the children, Alegria and Lidia stepped up to mother them. Darren took over forty days off from Delta. He took care of me, did research, washed clothes and helped with the dishes and children. He never could figure out why he could not get outside to do the lawn. But Caleb stepped in and sacrificed his time to see that it was done. Mom and Carl were there to support and encourage me at the hospital, with the doctors and at home. I felt at times like a burden, no one ever said I was. And Darren would tell me that he would rather have me sick in bed that not at all. But it was hard to accept help because I wanted to be taking care of my family, not the other way around. My children became my cheerleaders. They still cheer me on when I don’t feel well. They watch out for each other and help me in so many ways. Even Zachary empties trash cans. Without the love and support of our family and friends, we would have never made it. God used you all to bless and encourage us in ways you will never know. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I pray God will richly bless you.
Until next time...
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Wow! What a testimony to who she is and the wonderful legacy she has left for us all. I miss her terribly and know that ache won't be gone till we are together again in heaven. Praise the Lord He has given us the way to know we can be with Him and reunited with our loved ones one day. Love you guys and are praying for you.
Love,
Rebekah
Talk about a humbling meassage! I had always thought Karen to be an inspiration and so very courageous. Reading this entry made me remember the peaceful ways she spoke to me about the cancer in her life and how it had affected her family. She never once wavered in her faith. She will never leave our hearts. Hang in there, Darren.
Martha
My goodness i been missin Karen,askin God questions,hard questions. And here Karen is herself on this post encouraging me. Thank you my friend for caring to post such precious words from your dear sweet wife. We love you and continue many prayers daily for you all. T.P.
I am a complete stranger who came upon your site from the Jennifer Ireland site and have been reading your blog since February.
My heart breaks for your family but to read this post I realize that your family received so much love from Karen that it will last a lifetime. She is a true inspiration and I know I will revist this post several times for encouragement. Lots of blessings and prayers going out to your family
Darren,
What a great testimony and I am sorry that I was not being able to meet this Godly woman but we will meet one day in heaven.
I needed to hear that. Thank you for being willing to share. Kristen
Thank you for sharing this beautiful testimony. I could almost "hear" Karen's voice as I read it. Praying for you all.....Cindy
Thank you for sharing Karen's words with us. It really makes me stop and put it all in perspective. Each day I pray that I can become a stronger christian and to see things in the way that God wants me to see them and not in the selfish ways that I get caught up in without warning. Karen had the knowledge and clarity that I long to have one day. What a wonderful woman and a true inspiration. My heart goes out to you knowing how much it hurts to lose someone so kind, loving and unselfish. God bless you. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.
Wow!! Karen lived such a testimony! Reminds me of the old children's song "sermon in shoes".
What an unshakeable faith and legacy she leaves for her children.
Praying the God of all peace will continue to comfort you all.
Post a Comment