Saturday, September 29, 2007

Thursday, 27 September

We met with Karen’s oncologist (Dr. Jan Galleshaw) today to discuss how Karen is feeling, changes in her body and past test results. The doctor agreed with Karen that the current chemotherapy drug and schedule doesn’t appear to be tackling the cancer’s growth as hoped. Many things were discussed and at this time Karen is taking a break for the next month (if her health allows) to wrap her mind around the changes and also to enjoy some vacation time I have coming. She told the doctor she wanted to be able to taste food and be awake with enough energy to get up and move about.

The new chemotherapy that Karen will “try” is Taxol. I say try because as with all medications, doctors have no way of knowing for certain how or if Taxol will work to control the cancer until she begins taking it. The list of possible side effects is long and daunting. Most likely she will loose her hair which up until this point has only thinned, more on that in a later update. The treatment schedule will be once a week and the infusion time will be about 3 hours.

Her next appointment with the oncologist is scheduled for 25 October at Karen’s request, giving her the break she wanted. Between now and then she has a PET scan scheduled for 4 October, possibly a Herceptin infusion and vacation 11-18 October. The scan will be to determine the extent and size of the cancer’s growth since the last scan.

Please continue to pray for healing, discernment and that the scan will show improvement not regression. Also pray she is able to enjoy the break from treatment that she has requested.

I will leave you with what I call my theory of relativity. Today in the doctors office while Karen and I were checking out we heard the lady next to us loudly and animatedly lamenting that her next appointment was scheduled for January 2008. “Does it have to be so soon?” she replied and then went on to say, “I have a very busy schedule and really don’t see how I can return that soon.” Karen and I, already contemplating our own lot looked at each other but said nothing. Later, over lunch we both laughed as we said to each other at about the same time, “I wish we could be told don’t come back until January 2008.” If I think coming once a week is bad, all I have to do is think of the widower who’d jump at the opportunity to be with his wife again. That’s my theory of relativity, what situation seems bad and all encompassing in my life most likely would be considered an improvement in some else’s.

Until next time…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
This is Carl's sister in Albany. Just wanted you to know we continue to pray for you daily and I read all your updates on the blog site. You and Darren continue to amaze me - and encourage me at the same time. May God give you His grace and a wonderful vacation, free from pain. Enjoy your food ;-) and I'll look forward to hearing about it when you get back.
(I didn't say anonymous, but it has it there. You can clearly read who I am ! ;-) Computers!

Love,
Rebecca ('Becca')

Anonymous said...

From Alegria to the children:
I love you all soooo very much and cannot wait till Christmas to see you again and get warm hugs.

Hi Karen and Darren,


I want to just thank you for taking the time to update the blog. It is so very nice to be able to see how you are doing without having to call and bother you all the time. I am praying for you and am glad that you get this time off the meds. I pray that it is a time of peace and that you all will grow closer to each other, but most important closer to Christ. I love you both tons and miss you so very much.
Love,
Alegria

Anonymous said...

I am praying for a very restful and enjoyable vacation for you all. We love you! Kristen for the Walker crew

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen & Darren - Praying you are having a good time off from the medication. I think of you and pray for you more than I post - Thank you for taking the time to keep us posted on your progress. Cindy