Thursday, 20 April. Hello, everyone. This week there is a lot to report. In the last update, we mentioned a test designed to check the status of my kidneys. As a small child I suffered from severe damage to my kidneys, and although I have them both, they function as if I have one. The lab completed only part of the tests required to check my Creatinin clearance. They failed to measure the volume in the specimen and therefore the actual Creatinin clearance cannot be calculated. Dr. Galleshaw is hoping the Nephrologists (Kidney Doctor) can shed some light on the mess they made. She ordered a hold on my Aredia treatment until we can get a true Creatinin clearance. The Aredia is very hard on the kidneys and she and I are both very concerned that I could go into renal failure. This would cause a whole new set of problems with my treatment and quality of life.
I did not have a Zoladex shot. Dr. Galleshaw said that I should have responded to them by now if they were going to work. So we discussed what options were available. It was decided that I will try Tamoxifen. It is not chemotherapy. It works by blocking the estrogen receptors from receiving estrogen which will hopefully stop the cancers re-growth. This is the last treatment currently available to me before a return to chemotherapy.
Measurements were made of my liver and breast. The liver remains the same size, but the lump in the breast is some smaller. It is now 7 centimeters by 7 centimeters. A tumor marker test was drawn but the results are yet unknown.
Last, but not least, I am scheduled to have a PET/CT Scan Thursday, April 27 at 8:00a.m. The contrast used in a traditional CT scan can cause further damage to my kidney function.
Please pray for the effectiveness of the drugs I’m taking and for God’s wisdom for Darren and me. Please also pray for my wonderful doctor and all the staff I come in contact with each visit or phone call. It is my prayer that God would use me and the situation I’m in to bring the lost to Him and His people closer to Him. There is no mistake I have cancer.
Heavenly Father, you are in complete control, please touch my body and make me whole.
Friday, April 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Karen,
As always you and your family are in our prayers. Praise the Lord that we can look to a day when we will be with Him and there will be no more sickness, pain or sadness. Until then I know that God is working through you to touch many peoples lives for Him. You all have touched ours in such precious ways over the many years we've known one another. We love you.
Love,
Rebekah Miller and family
Post a Comment