Thursday, January 26th. I had the 12th infusion of Herceptin and my first infusion of Aredia since being switched off Zometa.
We also received the results of the tests from last week. The “Good” news is that the Echocardiogram showed very strong heart function that is at the top levels for a “normal” healthy person. The CT Scans revealed that the disease is unchanged in my liver and bones. The “Bad” news is that the lump in my breast has begun to grow again. I knew this from the changes I’ve seen and felt personally. The lump that measured 10x12 centimeters on 03June05 and had shrunk to 2x2 centimeters by 03November05 has now re-grown to 9x6 centimeters.
What this indicates to the doctor is that I need more than just Herceptin, at this point, to stop the cancer from growing. Because the cancer is estrogen and progesterone receptor positive, and I am having a regular menstrual cycle, the cancer is literally being fed by my ovaries.
There are several medical options, none of which are appealing, that I can choose from at this point. I struggled greatly with the choices, sought the Lord and after much agonizing over my decision, I ultimately chose the least invasive option which is to end my cycle with medication. The medication is called Zoladex and it is given monthly in the form of a shot. The hope is that by stopping my cycle that will drastically reduce the estrogen in my body, cutting off the fuel the cancer needs to grow. This process can take several months to occur.
I ask for your prayers that my side effects will be minimal and the help from this shot enough to stop the cancer and shrink it back down. If I need something more to help, there is a drug called Femara that stops estrogen production in the rest of the body. Please join me in praying diligently that I will not need to add this to my drug regimen.
Why hormonal therapy instead of chemotherapy? With chemotherapy you kill the good cells in your body as well as the bad. The red and white blood cells drop and shots are needed to boost them. Blood platelets drop and can lead to a need for transfusion. Nails crack and split. Hair falls out. Fatigue and nausea return. Overall it’s just a lot of bad side effects that can rapidly deteriorate daily life.
When I began this journey last May, I needed aggressive treatment because my liver was shutting down. I could not afford the “luxury” of a few months for hormonal therapy drugs to kick in and take effect. Today my liver is operating at 100%. Though it is damaged from the cancer, my blood tests reveal that God has done a great healing through the drugs I have taken.
I place my life in the hands of the One who created me and loves me most. He is good even when we travel a rough path. In the end, I know I will be whole again.
That is all for now. Have a great week and thanks for checking in on me.
Monday, January 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Dear Karen and Darren,
I'm sorry to hear that the cancer is growing again, but be mindful that you are in my families prayers and Blessed Mother Theresa's. We pray several times a day for your complete healing and I look forward to the day I read about your miracle.
God Bless you all.
Sharon
Post a Comment