Monday, January 09, 2006

Hello, Everyone. Thursday, January 5th, was a very emotionally charged day for us. I went in for my Herceptin treatment and to see the doctor. We ended up seeing the Physicians Assistant, Melissa. I told her about some of the side effects I had from the Zometa: nausea, extreme fatigue, & bone sensitivity. Melissa told us that they have seen these kinds of side effects before and recommended returning to the use of Aredia for the cancer in the bones.

The lump in the breast was then measured to see if growth or change had in fact occurred. Melissa said that the lump was denser and had grown from 2 centimeters to 6 centimeters. Melissa talked to us about some different options for treatment. We are researching those options as well as praying diligently for direction.

As scheduled, I took the 11th infusion of Herceptin which went smoothly. We also received the results of the kidney function test which indicated continued strain but a slight improvement over the previous test.

I will go on Thursday, January 19th for an echo of the heart. This is standard testing to check for damage that may be caused from taking the Herceptin. January 26th I am scheduled to have a Herceptin and Aredia treatment, as well as, see Dr. Galleshaw. Hopefully she will be able to answer more of my questions about treatment options and then a decision can be made.

I would like to allow my body to recover from the Xeloda and use the Herceptin to hold this cancer at bay. My hearts desire is total healing to the Glory of God. But I know that God is good even in difficult times and will see me through whatever lies ahead.

Your prayers are coveted and I appreciate your checking in on my progress. May the Lord bless you this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen and Darren.

I hope you already know that we pray diligently for you, but it never hurts to be told again! :) We uphold you in prayer every night, and are especially earnest now as you suspected the cancer might be growing again. (We're so sorry to hear that it has increased.) We will continue to pray for peace and guidance and strength for you all. If we can be of any help, please let us know!

with love,
Heather and Mike Sztanyo