Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hi, Everyone. I went today for my Echo and CT scans. Darren and I arrived at about 8:45 for my Echo that was to begin at 9:00. The technician had some trouble arriving and getting his equipment into the building so the Echo did not start until about 9:30. I was feeling rather bad from lack of food by this time so he worked quickly but thoroughly.

After we finished there I was given my “yummy” barium shake. Darren says they call it that because when a person drinks it they think the doctor is trying to “bury” them (barium). They have the nerve to call this stuff “shakes”! They even give it normal sounding names like “Apple”, “Banana”, or my personal favorite “Berry”. While waiting for this thick sludge to make its way through my plumbing, I went to get my port accessed so they could infuse the contrast dye for the CT scan. I was ready to begin my scan by about 10:30. I did okay with the dye just the usual tightening in the throat as well as the warm sensation from top to bottom. Thank you for all your prayers as I did not get sick from the shake and had no major reaction to the dye.

In last weeks update I told you I wanted to talk with the doctor before having this test. Well, not surprisingly, I did not hear from the doctor. I know that Diane (nurse) told the doctor I was willing to do the scan if now was absolutely necessary. So I guess now was of absolute necessity, but I worry about some things getting lost in this “telephone” game.

I will not have any results from the scans before next Thursday when I am due to have my Herceptin/Aredia infusions. That is, of course, unless there is a major problem, in which case I’ll be called at home.

Please pray for those reading the scans, as well as, wisdom for Dr. Galleshaw to guide us in the next steps we need to take. Most of all may God grant us wisdom as we daily walk what has become a very unsteady path called life. I also ask for prayer for Darren as he walks with me and sees the pain I encounter and the uncertainty of what the future holds for me and our family. We both ache for me to see our precious children grow-up, but I know that God will give us the grace to endure whatever His plans hold for us.

Thanks for checking on my progress and God bless you.

2 comments:

Charity said...

Thanks so much for updating, Karen, it's great to know specifics on what to pray for. I don't often get to talking to you at church, but you are constantly in my prayers, and will continue to be so. Along with healing, I am just praying for a peaceful, joy-filled time for you righ now. Thankyou again for being such a shining light for the Lord's glory.

Anonymous said...

Karen, you may not remember me. I am a friend of your sister, Leslie. My name is Kelly Harris and she and I took art lessons together from Bette Hickman. I think of you often, and check this site regularly to see how you are doing. Please know you are in my prayers.