Karen went to see her oncologist yesterday, 7 July. There she received her monthly dose of a drug given to counteract damage done by the cancer in her bones. It is given by infusion and Karen's newly placed port was used to deliver the medication. The placement of the port (5 July) went smoothly and aside from a longer recovery from the medication given to make her comfortable during the surgery Karen has experienced no ill side affects. Due to the condition of her liver any drug she is given will stay in her body longer than in a person of her size with a healthy liver.
As for her chemotherapy, it has been stopped until her mouth heals. Her mouth has been extremely sore and tender making it difficult to eat, brush her teeth, etc. Also food has no taste which makes eating a bore and the pain makes it a chore. Please pray for quick healing of her mouth. Research has shown that 40% of all deaths in cancer patients was actually due to malnutrition first, not the cancer. Once her mouth has made a recovery, hopefully in the next week or two, she will begin a reduced dose of the chemotherapy drug Xeloda. This is the same drug she has been taking for the past few weeks. They are simply reducing the dose in hopes it will have less impact on her mouth, hands and feet.
Our journey and battle with this disease continues. We'd like everyone to know how much your prayers, meals, care for our children, cards, calls, financial gifts and other offers to help have blessed us. With God none of us are alone; however it's nice to look from the fog of war with Karen's illness and see all of you standing there too.
We have three more appointments scheduled for next Wednesday, 13July. I will attempt another update on Monday, 11July. Between now and then please continue with us in prayer asking for healing, mercy, patience and grace.
Friday, July 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
We are still with you my friends, in thought and prayer. You ARE fighting the good fight! Keep the faith! The Nieperts
I had a wonderful dream the other night about your family. You live on top of a mountain (right on the edge..not a surprise) and your children are very happy playing in the yard. A huge party is in progress celebrating happiness. Friends and family are bringing wonderful presents that are being hung on a very tall wall in the shape of a Christmas tree. Why they are hanging them up is not apparent to me but it's part of the celebration. When I woke up I felt very sure of Karen's good health. Love and prayers, Janet Anderson
We are continuing to pray that Karen's mouth would be healed, and that you all will experience daily small joys.I pray that God will keep each of us looking for them, and abiding in His hope. Thank you for your words about Mrs. Kenobbie. What truth and wonder that eternity with Christ awaits each of His own. Love to all, Kristen
Now I know why I am walking. This is my first walk and It has been and emotinal experience for me. I want you to know I will be praying for Karen and the whole family continually. God is an Awesome God and his Mercy endurith forever. I will be praying for her mouth for a great healing.
sincerely
becki
Just to let you know again that you continue to be in our daily thoughts and prayers. We had a special time of prayer for Karen Sat. PM at our adult Bible study and again Mon. at Ladies prayer time. Also, a friend Teresa from Curves where I work out, said to tell you that she will be praying and asking others to also. She said to tell you just to keep praying through Jesus name.
Our love and prayers to all of you,
Pam and Don
Dear Karen
I read your article in the newspaper. God has blessed you with a wonderful support from you friends and family. I to have breast cancer, stage three. I also have been getting chemo and can feel your pain. I to have been bless with wonderful support. I will be praying for your month sore to go away and pray for god to give you an your family continue strenght. And remember there will be a rainbow at the end of your fight.
God Bless you!
Dianne Miller of Newnan
Post a Comment