Monday, February 12, 2007

Thursday, February 8th, I had the 29th Herceptin infusion. There was a bit of a mix-up at the doctor’s office so I saw Melissa instead of Dr. Galleshaw. I was having such pain in my feet that I was hobbling along. I discussed with Melissa the need to allow my body to heal from the chemotherapy. Not just physical relief but mentally as well. It seems that just when I’m starting to regain a little energy and feel better; it is time to restart the Xeloda. Last time I took five rounds over five months. So far I have taken five rounds in 2 ½ months. I’m tired of feeling tired, but all things considered it could be worse.

My red blood cells where up at a little, but my platelets were down. For the first time since starting this journey my white blood cell count has dipped below the normal range. They did not give me a shot for the white blood cell problem but I had an Aranesp shot for the red blood cell problem. The biggest blessing was that they are now putting the Aranesp in the port instead of in my arm. The needle is not the problem. The shot burns so bad and makes my arm goes numb. So I’m very pleased with the new protocol!

So the final outcome of this last visit was a two week break from the Xeloda to allow my body to rebuild. Then I will resume the Xeloda on a one week on one week off schedule. This will hopefully keep the side effects at bay.

As of now I have not received work about my tumor marker. When I do I will update you.

Thank you to all of you that faithfully check this site and pray for me and my family. You are such an encouragement to us. Your love and generosity know no bounds. God bless you all.

Until next time…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you Karen and hope God will help you stay uplifted. You and your family have been such an encouragement
to me. I will pray that the pain
and fatigue will be held at bay.

Anonymous said...

I pray for you Karen and for your family daily...you are all an inspiration for me.

Misty said...

Do you have your tumor marker yet?