Thursday, August 3rd. We missed last weeks update for which I’m going to blame on a dog (original excuse huh?), but there were no doctor appointments scheduled. I’ll tell you how the doctor visit went after I share the dog story with you.
On July 24th, I’m outside working with Matthew in the yard, completely minding my own business when a puppy comes running up and plows right into Matthew. Harmless enough, as I saw my neighbor from the next street over walking and assumed the puppy belonged to her. I soon found out that this puppy did not belong to her it was just following her. It didn’t take long before the rest of my gang came outside to see the puppy.
The puppy, an approximately 3 month old Lab, had a collar so I checked to see if there was an identification tag. There was none; Strike 1 against me. I called the pound to see if anyone had reported a puppy missing and what their location was so I could bring the puppy to them. The lady who worked at the pound said I could bring the puppy in or give them all the information (where she was found, fur color, gender, etc…) and they would send anyone calling for the puppy to us; Strike 2 against me. I expected the sad eyes from the children at the thought of taking the "poor puppy" to such a "mean and cruel place" as the pound. The shocker to me was Karen who STRONGLY suggested we keep the puppy at our house until the owner could be located; Strike 3. She said, “you know this could be a good test for the children to see if they can care for an animal." How could I argue with that logic?
Three days later, still no sign of the owners. The puppy had been named Daisy. Because as the children said, we can’t keep calling her an “it”. I voted for the name Trouble but was overruled. Now in addition to Daisy, we have 20 pounds of dog food, a dog bone and a borrowed kennel.
Day four, I think I’m going to have Daisy around for a while. I need the added responsibility and cost of a dog like a whole in the head. I must admit however, it was great to hear the laughter from the children as they played with the puppy and see the smiles it brought to Karen. I’m at work on the afternoon of day four when Karen calls to say the owners have called and plan to pick the puppy up in about 45 minutes. I should be happy right? The dog is going to the rightful owner. I was happy, but I could hear the disappointment in her voice as well as the children’s. They had really become attached to this dog and were pretty bummed about her leaving.
For reasons unknown, I started the search for another dog. I made several inquiries over the phone when a coworker overheard I was looking for a dog. Well to shorten a long story, my Delta family sprang into action and by the time I was ready to go home that night there was a 9 week old puppy in my arms. Her name is Daisy, she is a Lab mix. It’s Daisy’s fault we missed last weeks update. You know having Daisy around might be good for a whole host of excuses.
Now for the update on Karen; today’s visit included the usual tests and infusion number 20 of Herceptin.
Her red blood cell count was back down to 10, so Karen had a second Procrit shot in as many months. For more information about this shot read the update posted June 22, 2006.
Since the last update Karen has had some spotting which occurred simultaneously with severe headache. She also began to experience a dull ache in the lump in her breast which seemed to increase in density. A measurement of the mass revealed it has grown about 1 centimeter in size from 4x7 cm to 5x7 cm over the last 3 weeks. A tumor marker test was taken and probably will reveal an increase given the changes in the mass. We should receive the results if the test by next Wednesday.
In light of the increases in the last tumor markers and the changes in the mass the doctor has asked for an ultrasound test of the area which is scheduled next Thursday, August 10th. Depending on the results from the ultrasound and tumor markers, Karen’s treatment plan may change. Please continue to pray for complete healing for Karen, wisdom for us and the doctors, and that through it all God would be glorified.
Because of…
We felt led to add this as a regular part of the update at the 1 year mark of our family’s journey of living with cancer. We said when we began that we would continue the “because of” for as long as it seemed appropriate. This will be the last regular “because of”, but we still plan to share because of stories as we feel led.
Our family has seen many benefits from cancer, I know for some that may seem like the strangest words you have ever heard. We wouldn’t choose cancer, but we believe God has allowed it. The why’s and how’s probably won’t be answered this side of heaven. Karen and I have compared many aspects of our lives before and after diagnosis. We have closer relationships with God, each other, family, friends and a deeper appreciation for each day given to us than we ever had before we knew she had cancer. Of course there are many, many things that cancer has upset in our lives but we don’t get a smile on our faces when we spend too much time thinking on these things and neither would you. I guess the bottom line of what we hope you’ve carried away from reading our because of stories is that life is filled with things we must deal with both good and bad; it’s our choice as to which we focus on.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8
Until next week …
Friday, August 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi all - Darren, you should have named the dog "Trouble". Your great grandmother, Rillie Sullivan, had a dog by that name when your grandmother Ann was a girl. Ask her about it. You all are in our prayers - God Bless .... The Sullivans, Ocala FL
GREAT PICTURE...I LOVE IT!
And Daisy is soooooo cute...ya gotta love puppies! I've enjoyed following the Daisy saga, from your first phone call to this posting...great story (even the condensed version) ~smile~
Know we're praying for you and that we send LOTS OF LOVE to each of you!
~Leslie
J.D., your hair looks terrific! I love the look on Zackary's face in this picture, and everyone looks so excited to have this new puppy addition. We love ya'll and pray for you. Kristen
Darren, Karen, and Crew,
Daisy is absolutely adorable. It's funny how a furry little creature can bring so much joy and laughter into your life. I strongly recommend Kongs and rawhide chews to keep her little mouth out of trouble :).
You all have been and will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. We are praying for the Lord's healing touch on you, Karen, but more than that, we are praying that the Lord be honored and glorified through you. We love you.
Love, Sarah and Travis
Post a Comment