Thursday, March 9. I went to get a Herceptin treatment and see Dr. Galleshaw. The treatment went well with no side effects. We also heard some great news about the lump in my breast. It has decreased from 9x6 centimeters to 8x6 centimeters. It has also decreased in density. This is a good sign that the Zoladex is beginning to work with the Herceptin to control the cancer.
Another sign that the shot is working is “Hot Flashes”. I am regularly having them. These “Power Surges”, as my Dad use to call them, have been waking me up nearly hourly during the night. This interruption in my sleep cycle leaves me very tired and gives me headaches. There are only a few things they can give me to stop them since I am estrogen and progesterone receptor positive. This means anything with estrogen or progesterone would feed the cancer. The medical drugs they use are not something I am excited about using. I am trying to approach this cancer as naturally as possible. Therefore, I asked the doctor for something that I can use to help me sleep instead of trying to take the flashes away. She prescribed a 1mg. tablet of Lunesta that I can take as needed. Last night I got a much better night sleep.
Dr. Galleshaw also told me that there are some over-the-counter things I could use to try the help with the hot flashes. The one I am looking into using at this point is Remifemin (Black Cohosh). A sweet lady at our church mentioned that Black Cohosh has helped her, but I was reluctant to try it until I spoke with Dr. Galleshaw. For all the women out there that are “flashing” right now, I will let you know in a future update if the Remifemin helps me.
We also discussed adding Femara to my cancer regimen. I told her that at this point I am at peace with just taking the Herceptin and Zoladex. I wish to wait at least a few months before adding anything to this “chemistry set” to see what is working to keep the cancer at bay. She agreed that this is a reasonable plan. Adding Femara will increase the side effect I am already experiencing and that doesn’t thrill me at all.
I ask for your continued prayers for wisdom, peace and relief from the side effects that I am experiencing. Till next week, God bless you.
Saturday, March 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
So happy to hear that the cancer is not growing! That is a bummer about the flashing, but at least this one is legal:0) Don't try the other flashing or you'll get arrested.
Karen-
My prayers are with you! From reading all the comments posted, it really seems like you have a great, great support system and I know you have a wonderful family that love you. I will continue to pray for you and your family, for all the doctors and nurses who may come in contact with you and especially for your children. 'Ya Gotta Believe!
Cancer Sucks,
Susan
Post a Comment