Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Clarification

I feel I may have sent the wrong message to some of you. In closing this blog, I’m not rushing to get “over” the emotions raging in my heart and mind. I want to be in a different place than I am right now. I also like the comfort of where I am right now. You can have both but only to a degree. I deeply appreciate the feedback and counsel to take all the time I need but I know this isn’t where God wants me to be for as long as I would be comfortable to be here.

The best picture I can draw for those concerned that I’m pushing myself too hard, is teaching my daughter to swim last year. Rachel is the oldest of the children to learn to swim at 6 years old. She could dog paddle, hold her breath and had the basic skills needed to move on. She was afraid. I watched as the older children played games in the deep end that she really wanted to join in. She wanted to be there but was too afraid to let go. I tried various tactics with her to no avail. She wouldn’t let go.

Wanting her to enjoy where she could be rather than where she was I broke almost every rule in teaching someone to swim. I picked her up and asked do you trust me? She said yes, with that I held her out over the deep end of the pool and against her pleas I let her go. She bobbed back up just like I knew she would and when she got over my letting her go, realized she was swimming and never looked back. There are times in our lives that make indelible marks. That night after she finished her bath she came up to me, hugged me and thanked me for teaching her to swim. Her exact words were “Thank you daddy for throwing me in.”

Karen knew me well, the best actually. She knew I can be a creature of extreme habit. She gently and not so gently sometimes told me not to get so comfortable in what we had that I stop growing. I don’t question why Karen isn’t here. To be certain I’m extremely grieved that I can’t be with her, so grieved I struggle for the words. At the same time I take comfort knowing God is in complete control and though the storm circles around me at times I must stay the course.

The timeline I set of 04 July 2008 was simply for the blog nothing else. I feel God’s nudging to tell the story of Karen’s last days before I can move on to other emotions. To me it’s a beautifully painful story of God’s grace, forgiveness and majesty.

Thank you Lord for loving me where I am and daily encouraging me to grow … thank You for throwing me in the deep end…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart and my prayers are with you. You are going through the most difficult journey of your life. My God be with you and your children each and every minute of every day. I know it must be so difficult to finish what you're about to finish. Know that those that are waiting to hear the rest of your story are there for you in prayer while you work to tackle this very difficult project. God bless. Leisa

Anonymous said...

WHAT A FINE TRIBUTE U GIVE TO YOUR LOVE AND LIFE HERE ON EARTH THAT U HAD WITH KAREN...PLEASE KNOW THAT MY PRAYERS ARE WITH U AND YOUR KIDDOS...IT TRULY IS THE MOST DIFFICULT WALK OF YOUR LIFE...AS I TOO HAVE AND CONTINUE TO WALK IT EVEN NEARLY 10 YEARS LATER...I PROMISE U THE WALK CHANGES...YOUR HEART BECOMES LIGHTER, YOUR SMILES BECOME BRIGHTER AND THOSE MEMORIES NEVER FADE....I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR FINAL WORDS OF THE JOURNEY WITH KAREN IN HER LAST DAYS WITH YOU....KNOW YOUR JOURNEY HAS JUST BEGUN WITH RAISING THOSE KIDDOS...WHAT A PATH IT WILL BE...:) WITH CHRISTIAN FRIENDSHIP IN WIDOWHOOD, AN ANGEL OF PRAYER IN KC, MO....JEN MILLER

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you for writing that, I really needed to read it. I know what you and the kids are going though and will be praying for you.
Love you all,
Lidia :)

Angela said...

Praying for you and your children... especially as you go forward in your grief, to find what it is God has in store. May his peace be with you as you open those memories you have put away.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what God has done through you in this extremely difficult time in your life. I hope your messages reach those that don't know Christ to live in his Kingdom forever.