Our family has enjoyed another AMAZING week. Karen has been able to get out of bed EVERY day and enjoy some level of activity. She's used the new found energy to take three of the children to lunch this past week. So far Hannah, Matthew and Rachel have had a date with Mom by themselves. Each of them have commented on how much they have enjoyed their time alone with Karen. We plan to continue this new found practice. We had "intentions" of doing this before but it seemed difficult to find the time. Karen's illness is teaching us the time is there and the time is now. One of my grandfathers many sayings has become crystal clear to me now, "Man can always find time for what he finds important."
Karen began taking Xeloda (chemo) again on 28Jul. Aside from fatigue and nausea (discouraging and debilitating at times though common with chemo) Karen has not had any of the side affects she had with the first round of Xeloda. Praise God for this answer to prayer! Today, 08AUG, marks the completion of 12 out 14 days she has taken Xeloda. Just 2 more days and she'll be able to enjoy a week off before staring the next round!
Karen's latest visit to the oncologist was on 04AUG. This time was for a 120 minute infusion of Aerida to help her bones fight against the cancer. She also received another dose of Aranesp to help her body boost the red blood cell count(RBC). Even though Karen wasn't scheduled to see her doctor (Jan Galleshaw) Jan still came into the "chemo room" to check on Karen. She was pleased to hear Karen had thus far had no hand/foot or mouth issues from taking the Xeloda (chemo). Jan commented on how well Karen looked and her remarkable improvement over the past few weeks. The subject of the 3 Day Walk benefiting the Susan G. Komen foundation came up during their chat and Jan suggested that Karen make attending the walk a goal for 2006. Of course there is no guarantee Karen will be able to participate in a 60 mile walk 18 months from now, but HOPE is life to the bones!
As I watch Karen I'm reminded of all the things I take for granted. Just the ability to get out of bed and carry out the tasks of daily life are a blessing that should not be taken lightly. We all have different challenges on many different levels, but each of us is given the exact same 24 hours every day. It's like a bank account that is filled up each day but it's balance cannot be carried into the next day. It can however pay huge dividends for you and others depending on how it us used. A common question asked with "terminal" disease prognosis is "How long do I have to live?". I know ask myself that question every day. I believe with every ounce of my being that only God knows the answer. There is a country song to which I have only heard a few times so I'm not certain of the exact words but the chorus goes something like, "Everyone should get the chance to live like they were dying." That's a really deep thought to ponder........
If you knew today was your last day on earth how would you spend it?
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Thanks for the Update. Karren those were some good cookies! :-)
We look forward to many more batches. Kids Turbo's thinking of you. If you need anything You have got my Number. Darren heres the song you were talking about. Its called Live Like you were dying. I went to college with the Singer Tim Mcgraw. Here are the lyrics.
He said I was in my early forties, with a lot of life before me
And one moment came that stopped me on a dime
I spent most of the next days, looking at the x-rays
Talking bout' the options and talking bout' sweet times.
I asked him when it sank in, that this might really be the real end
How's it hit 'cha when you get that kind of news?
Man what did ya do?
He said
Chorus
I went skydiving
I went rocky mountain climbing
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'
And he said some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin'
Verse 2
He said I was finally the husband, that most the time I wasn't
And I became a friend, a friend would like to have
And all of a sudden goin' fishin, wasn't such an imposition
And I went three times that year I lost my dad
Well I finally read the good book, and I took a good long hard look
At what I'd do if I could do it all again
And then
Chorus
I went skydiving
I went rocky mountain climbing
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'
And he said some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin'
Bridge
Like tomorrow was a gift
And ya got eternity to think about what to do with it
What could you do with it
What did I do with it
What would I do with it
Skydiving
I went rocky mountain climbing
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu
And I loved deeper
And I spoke sweeter
And I watched an eagle as it was flyin'
And he said some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin'
Live like you were dyin'
To live like you were dyin' x4
Turbo
I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you all updating this page and keeping us informed on Karen's progress.
Because of the time difference (Alaska is 4 hours behind GA), it's not always easy (or feasible) to call--some of you like your sleep, after all. :) But this is a wonderful way for me to check in on Karen, Darren and the rest of my family "after hours".
I would also like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU! to each and every one of you that have been so generous and willing to help my sister and her family over the past few months. When I flew back to GA to see Karen in June, I was touched by the outpouring of love and kindness you all bestowed upon her, Darren and the children. May God richly bless each of you for your love and generosity and for being His hands here on earth.
Leslie
I am also touched by your updates, Darren. Some of the things you write are things that I need reminding of occasionally. So as I pray for Karen's healing and the well being of your entire family, I also thank God for having you to "minister" to the rest of us.
Martha
Karren,
It was so great to see you on Monday at the Golf Club. Those cookies hit the spot after 18holes of golf. I know I speak for Dean,Steve,John and myself. We were honored to play golf as Karrens Hope. Thanks again for making a guest "star" apperance.
Turbo
Dear Karen and Family:
Cathy and I continue to pray for y'all. We have our Church here in Arizona praying also. One lady, about 80, never fails to ask about you; I know she prays and believes w/o ceasing!!!!
All that Misty write here on the blog is a lift to all our faith.
Know this, we love you. God is so good and HE knows everything. He has blessed you and all of us because of you. Look unto Him from whence cometh you health. Probably not a perfect quote but close.
Karen, stay in prayer for others during this testing. God will hear you and show you even more of His great Grace as He works miracles for you and others.
Misty, I don't know if I can reach your Grand mother and Aunt through this page, but I hope you will at least tell them I wrote y'all a note. Our prayers are for you all.
Love y'all and know that God has given us friends that are far more special than most are able to claim. Misty, your family is much larger than you know. We are all together in this time of your mom's testing. Your larger family, some of us you don't even know, truly love you and your mom and dad. May our Great God bless you all.
In Christ,
Charles and Cathy Caskey
Goodyear, AZ
Post a Comment