Thursday, May 11th was a whirlwind of activity. I started the day at Dr. Galleshaw’s office. There I saw Melissa, the physician’s assistant, and she confirmed that the PET/CT revealed cancer activity only in the breast. The spots on the bones appear to be scarred or are healing. No cancer anywhere else. They were all totally blown away with this. How could my tumor marker be rising without it spreading to my liver or another part of my body? I can answer that very easily. It's a miracle from God. She measured the lump in my breast and it is down from 7x7 centimeters to 6x6 centimeters.
I called Friday to see if my tumor marker was back, but it was not in yet. The only problem I’m having is keeping my red blood cell count up. It keeps going up and down. They are just watching it for now but may need to give me shot to build these back up again. Please pray that I can avoid adding Procrit to my treatment.
From there we went to see Dr. Levert. He is my gastroenterologist. He is one of the kindest doctors. Thursdays are procedure days for him, but he comes in to see me so we don’t have to make a special trip just to see him. He looked over my last lab work and the PET/CT. Then he announced that he wanted to begin taking me off some of the things I’m on. With my liver functioning normally again, he told me to stop taking the Lasix, Aldactone and Potassium.
Then he said he wanted me to have an ultrasound of my portal vein. This is the main blood supply to my liver. Last May at Emory they told us that the blood flow through the portal vein was mostly reversed or said another way going in the wrong direction. If, due to the cancer in the liver being not active, this has corrected itself, which Dr. Levert suspected, I will be able to come off the blood pressure medicine I’m taking. I was put on this to protect the veins in my throat from rupturing again. When I met Dr. Levert last June, I was extremely sick. He told Darren when he did the Endoscopic Surgery that I might not make it out alive. He later told us he thought he would never see me again in his office. God has given our family another opportunity to loudly proclaim He is in control! On Friday (May 12) Dr. Levert called and told me that the ultrasound showed that the portal vein was working as it should be and I could stop taking the Corgard!
Dr. Levert then told me that he wanted to do another Endoscope. He wants to check those veins in my throat before he tells me to come see him again only if I need him. What a change from almost a year ago. God is so awesome! I’m scheduled for this procedure Thursday, May 18th at 11:30am with a 10:30am arrival time. Please pray for peace for Darren, the kids and me. Also pray for Dr. Levert as he does this procedure.
All of this activity and a graduation party for our dear, sweet Lidia, one of our “nannies” has left me a bit tired. I have rested today and plan on resting tomorrow as well.
Thank you for stopping by to check on me. To all mother’s I hope you have an extra special Mother’s Day. God has given the best Mother’s Day present of all. LIFE! Darren or I will update you next week after my procedure.
Saturday, May 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What glorious news! So glad you are able to come off of some of your medicines. I will continue to hold you in throught and prayer often! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!
Oh Karen..... What a glorious ending to Mother's Day.... to sign on and read this great news! God is so amazing....I know He is using you and this trial you are walking through. Hope you enjoyed every minute of your Mother's Day! Thanks for keeping us updated. I check in every day and pray.... Cindy
Praise God from whom all blessings flow! You are a trooper, and we praise the Lord for this miraculous news! You won't believe the quality of life that you will experience when you are drug free real soon. Support the body with nutrition, and great things happen! This is God's miraculous design, and it's beautiful! (Genesis 1:29) If you have any questions about the glyconutrients, please feel free to call Doug. He welcomes your call! I check on your progress all the time, and although I don't call, I do lift you and your family up to the Lord often. You have a strong, sweet husband and five beautiful children who are helping you every step of the way. You truly are blessed! Trust you had an extra special Mother's Day with your family. Blessings from all 9 of us on the farm! To God be the glory, great things He hath done!
Post a Comment